A stroll around Roses and its outskirts
There are magical places that you cannot miss in Roses and its surroundings:
- La Ciudadela. The military fort, with the huge Puerta de Mar (Door of the Sea), is a great example of the Renaissance style which was constructed in 1543. Its interior consists of an important archaeological site where you can find, among other shings, the remains of the Greek city called Rhode, founded in the year 776 BC by the Rhodians.
Declared a historical-artistic collection in 1961, la Ciudadela reunites the remains of different periods and occupations.
For more information, consult the web page www.roses.cat
- El Castillo de la Trinidad. (The Trinity Castle). It is a magnificent example of a coastal, artillery fort. Its location is strategic because of its eminently defensive function. It crowns Poncella Point above the Roses lighthouse. This military construction, that dates back to 1544 (16th century), was built-up during the reign of Emperor Charles I. It is shaped like a five-pointed star, with sharp, angular edges to defend against enemy missiles.
- The Visigothic Fort. Declared a cultural element of National Interest in 1963, it is located in the residential area called Puig-Rom. It was constructed throughout the 7th century with an oval plan and a defensive purpose. In its interior, valuable pieces of bronze and iron objects like farming tools have been found, as well as ceramic remains.
- Bufalaranya Castle. Near the Roses motorway that leads to Cadaqués stands this construction on top of a hill. It was erected in the 10th century and its main characteristic is a drawing in the shape of a spike (opus spicatum) that forms its tombstone.
- La Casa Mallol. This modernist-style building, which currently is the headquarters of Roses City Hall, is situated in Plaza de Catalunya. It was constructed in 1906 and designed by Joan Marès.
- Masía-Castell Coll de Roses. This Country-House/Castle has been declared of Artistic and Cultural Heritage by the Catalonian Parliament. Its origin dates back to an old Roman, farming villa of the 2nd century AD.
Inside you can follow an illustrated explanation of the process of wine making from the point that the stock comes up out of the ground until the wine is consumed.
- Castelló d’Empúries. In this neighbouring town, less than 9 kilometres away, you can visit the Farinera Museum, the Basilica Museum, the Prison and the Parroquial Museum. Visit its web page for more information: www.castello.cat
- The Dalí Theatre-Museum in Figueres. It is situated just 18 kilometres away from Roses. It is in the building of the old Municipal Theatre and is considered the world’s largest surrealist place. Consult the web page www.salvador-dali.org for more information.
- Butterfly Museum d’Empúries: www.butterflypark.es
- The l’Albera Centre: www.tortugues.es
We also propose several options to enjoy your spare time during your stay with us:
- Glass-bottomed, sightseeing boat rides in Roses Port
- Water skiing on the beach
- Paragliding and parachuting in Castelló d’Empúries, a town located 9 kilometres away from Roses.
- Hiking routes p in the Aiguamolls del Empordà Natural Park and the Albera Mountain Range.
- Walking route by the collection of megalithic monuments in Roses. About 2 and a half hours long, you pass by the Creu d’en Cobertella Dolmen, the ruins of the Casa Cremada, the Menhir de la Casa Cremada I and II, the Llit de la Generala Dolmen and the Cap de l’home.
- Wine Tour in different company stores.
- Fun in the Castell de Peralada Casino.. Surrounded by gardens and flanked by its 14th century, twin towers you can enjoy the gaming excitement in this prestigious casino with its French and American Roulette, poker, black jack, etc.